Why Pardee Bariatrics and Weight Loss?
• We are deeply committed to helping the people of our community live healthier and happier lives.
• Our board-certified bariatric surgeon, Dr. Chris Edwards, has performed nearly 2,000 bariatric procedures since 2006, and has served as medical director for numerous educational programs across the country.
• We offer a variety of weight loss surgery options, including non-invasive procedures (see below).
• Patients are well prepared for surgery and the lifestyle changes that will occur in order to ensure the greatest chances of success.
• We treat our patients as though they’re family and we’re here for them every step of the way. Our aim is to provide a personalized experience and customized health plan for each and every patient.
Are You a Candidate For Weight Loss Surgery?
Enter your height and weight in the calculator and look at your Body Mass Index (BMI). Compare your BMI and co-morbidities to the list below to see if you may qualify for weight loss surgery.
1. BMI 35 to 39.9, with a history of obesity-related condition (such as high blood pressure, diabetes or sleep apnea).
2. BMI > 40, regardless of any history of obesity-related diseases.
Please note that early intervention is not covered by insurance. If you match any of these criteria, you may benefit from surgery. Several health factors may limit or even contraindicate certain patients from bariatric surgery. These decisions require consultation with your surgeon. Qualifying by NIH criteria does not guarantee insurance coverage. Check with your individual insurer to confirm that your plan includes bariatric coverage.
Chris Edwards, MD, FACS
Dr. Chris Edwards, board-certified bariatric surgeon with Pardee UNC Health Care, has developed and directed bariatric surgical programs in Western North Carolina for the last 7 years, and has performed nearly 2000 bariatric surgeries to date. He specializes in minimally invasive surgery, including single-site, bariatric, reflux and hernia surgery. Dr. Edwards has served as medical director for numerous educational programs across the country and has been published in many peer-reviewed journals. Dr. Edwards’ personalized approach and medical expertise is central to our bariatric program and we are honored to have him as a member of the Pardee family.
Weight Loss Surgery Options
• Gastric Bypass
• Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy
• Adjustable Gastric Banding (Lap Band)