Pardee Thoracic Surgery
What is Thoracic Surgery?
Chest surgery (also known as thoracic surgery) involves the organs of the chest, including the esophagus, lung, trachea, thymus, diaphragm and the chest wall (rib cage and breastbone).
When do you need a thoracic expert?
You or a loved one might need thoracic surgery for a variety of reasons:
- Some people have injuries or accidents that damage the chest area such as ribs or sternum.
- Some have a growth or disease such as cancer.
- Others are born with conditions that require surgery to improve how their body works or quality of life.
Lung, Esophageal, and Other Chest Diseases
Diseases that affect your lungs, esophagus, or chest are sometimes referred to as general thoracic diseases. Pardee Thoracic Surgery specialties include:
- Chest Wall Diseases and Tumors
- Esophageal Diseases and Tumors
- Lung Cancer and Nodules
- Mediastinal Masses
- Pleural Diseases
- Diseases of the diaphragm
No matter why someone needs thoracic surgery, you can rely on the expertise and experience of the Pardee UNC Health Care team. Our physicians have earned certifications from national medical boards, including the American Board of Surgery.