Possible Data Breach and What You Need to Know
On May 9, 2019, Pardee UNC Health Care discovered, and filed a police report for, a break-in at our building located at 2029 Asheville Hwy, Hendersonville. The basement of the Asheville Hwy building was illegally accessed, and electronic equipment removed from the premises. The equipment taken did not have hard drives intact and as a result, no Protected Health Information (PHI) or other personal information was accessed via the stolen electronics.
However, during the onsite investigation immediately following the discovery of the break-in, Pardee Security found a stack of 590 Federal Drug Testing Custody and Control forms on a table centrally located in the basement. The Drug Testing Forms contained information related to routine drug screenings performed at Pardee Urgent Care on Thompson Street from October 2003 to December 2004. We believe that the person(s) who illegally entered the building moved the stack of papers from another location in the basement to the table, where they were in plain view. For this reason, we believe that the person(s) who illegally entered the building may have viewed the information contained on the forms.
The Drug Testing Forms did not include contact information, and the individuals who received drug testing were not patients of Pardee Urgent Care. Accordingly, we lack sufficient contact information to send letters to affected individuals. Consistent with state and federal law, which allows for “substitute notice,” we are providing notification through media channels and here on our website.
Types of Data
Protected Health Information that may have been accessed includes names and phone numbers, birth dates, social security numbers, results of the drug screen, employer name, and drivers license numbers. While we are unaware of any specific data misuse as a result of this breach, we want to make affected individuals aware of this situation and provide the appropriate information to help protect them from potential identity theft.
Steps You Can Take
- Individuals who had a drug screening from October 2003 to December 2004 at the Pardee Urgent Care located at 212 or 205 Thompson Street in Hendersonville are encouraged to call toll free 866-668-4847 to confirm whether your data may have been accessed.
- Review and monitor your credit by placing a fraud alert on your credit report. Contact information for the three major consumer reporting agencies, as well as information on preventing identity theft from the Federal Trade Commission and North Carolina Attorney General’s Office is available here on our website.
- We will provide affected individuals with free credit monitoring protection services for a period of one year.
Steps We Are Taking
We are committed to protecting the privacy of patients’ personal information and take this obligation very seriously.
- All paper records previously stored in the lower level of the Asheville Highway location where the break-in occurred are now securely stored at a new location.
- We are reinforcing existing employee training on the importance of maintaining the privacy and security of health and other personal information.
- We have consolidated paper records previously stored at multiple off-site records storage facilities into one secure storage facility.
- We are reviewing existing record retention protocols and policies and will revise as needed.
- Finally, we are notifying the federal Office for Civil Rights and the North Carolina Attorney General’s Office, consistent with state and federal laws regarding data breaches.
Major Consumer Reporting Agencies:
PO Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374
PO Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92834
PO Box 9532
Allen, TX 75013
Patients are encouraged to reach out to the following organizations for information on preventing identity theft:
Federal Trade Commission
FTC’s toll-free Identity Theft helpline at 1.877.438.4338
Attn: Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580
North Carolina Attorney General's Office
Consumer Protection Division
9001 Mail Service
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001